How can I relieve my chihuahua’s itchy skin?
My chihuahua is constantly scratching all over her body, sometimes she rolls around on the carpet to scratch her back. She chews her paws and parts of her legs to the point where she has bald spots from scratching so much. I don’t know what she’s allergic to. I feel so bad for her, what can I do?
If you’re sure your chihuahua doesn’t have fleas, then most likely she has a skin allergy problem. This is a 5-step solution and you should do them simultaneously to get the best result.
(1) For instant relief, use an anti-itch cream or spray that you apply directly to hot spots. A good one to try is Doc Ackerman’s Hot Spot Relief Spray:
Doc Ackerman’s Instant Hot Spot Relief Spray
(2) Most vets recommend chlorpheniramine, an antihistimine, available over-the-counter at your local drug store. Or you can buy it from PetCareRx. Give half a pill (2mg) twice a day.
Chlorpheniramine, 4mg, 100 Tablets,
(3) Bathe your chihuahua with an oatmeal-based shampoo, like this one from Doc Ackerman. It contains 3.8% colloidal oatmeal to draw out irritants and has no lauryl or laureth sulfates, so it’s very gentle and non-drying on the skin. Massage into the fur and let it soak for an extra minute or two before rinsing.
DocAck Oatmeal Shampoo 20 oz.
(4) Change your chihuahua’s diet. Your dog might be allergic to ingredients in her food. The only way to find out is to the change it. The most common offenders are beef, dairy, chicken, wheat, eggs, corn, and soy. Since it’s hard to tell what your dog is allergic to, it’s best to get a dog food that excludes all these ingredients. The following brands are nutritionally complete and only uses natural ingredients, so your dog will continue to get a balanced diet. They’re all good, just depends on your dog’s tastes.
Wellness Simple Duck Dry Dog Food 10.5 lbs.
NatBal Fish & Sweet Potato Dry Dog 5 lb. Bag
If your dog is allergic to meat in general,
NatBal Dog Vegetarian 5 lb. Bag
(5) Boost your chihuahua’s natural immune system with essential fatty acids. Vets routinely recommend Omega-3 fatty acids from fish oil to combat itchy skin. These supplements give great results and are good for overall health, not just itchy skin. Try this combination from Drs Foster and Smith:
Maximum Relief Allergy Kit Allergy Kit